Friday 30 March 2018

Building a new unit

I'm just about to commence creating a new unit for my slowly evolving C18th project based in Italy in the 1740's (Great period and theatre, much overlooked), and thought it might be informative to folk about how I go about it.

I'll start with the unit composition, and run through painting, basing, making the flags, the whole shooting match. At my rate of progress that'll likely be progressively over the next couple of months of hobby time (I'm not rapid, but like to think it's quality not quantity! 😉 )

So, first things first, unit composition .....

Unit Composition

My units are put together for use with "The Wargame" rules by Charles Grant (other rules for this period are available ..... they're just not as good! )

So the basic infantry unit is 48 rank and file, yes that's considerably more than are a lot of folk are used to painting for a unit, but they do look damn good when complete. They also help deliver the mechanics of manoeuvring linear warfare units on the table very effectively (far too many wargamers love their "nippy" units way too much!)

Now in Charles's rules, the morale/command/cohesion of a unit is represented in the officer figures, for a line unit this would be four officers at one point each and a Colonel at two points, giving six points in total. Now, one of the things I really like about John Ray's fabulous collection is his use of vignettes to augment the visuals of the big units on the table. I therefore do use Charles's points system, but don't have them as single figures. Rather I create 5 Vignettes (typically of a couple of figures) to represent the equivalent "points" outlined above. Still keeping up with the "thread"? Good 😊

So my unit will have 48 rank and file and 5 Vignettes, in this case, The Standards, the Musicians, two times an officer with accompanying NCO, and a Colonel (mounted) with a supporting officer on foot.

In this case that will make 60 figures in total (I can here the exclamations already! Stick with me and I'll convert you)

Unit Selection

Ok, because I have the castings, and I fancy starting something new, I will paint my first Spanish/Neapolitan unit. From this point on, I will call them Neapolitan, although technically you could as easily label them as Spanish (as many of the units actually were).

Let's pick something colourful, I haven't painted a unit in yellow coats yet, which I think is an attractive option, so I've picked the Neapolitan Provincial Infantry Regt Basilicata, a pleasing yellow, with blue facings and brass/gold metalwork.

Figures

Easy! I'll be using my own! 😃 So it's Crann Tara Miniatures, Spanish marching foot figure for the rank and file, with command made up of a combination of French command figures (Not made by me) and various Savoia figures lightly tweaked to suit.

The Start

So, figures selected, ideas around the vignettes worked out, I then prep the figures with Halfords spray white primer. And here are the command

So we have (L to R) the Musicians group, The standard bearers and NCO for protection, The Colonel (sans horse) and foot officer, Standing Officer and NCO with Halberd, and Advancing NCO (and officer who's advanced off screen slightly)

Next .... The painting begins ....

(I know this has been text heavy, but trying to give a bit of background to what I'm trying to do here)

8 comments:

Ed said...


Wow! Really looking forward to following this!

Der Alte Fritz said...

John, I'm glad to see that you are back to blogging. It will be interesting to follow your progress. I have a lot of your Savoia figures in my various wargame armies.

Jim

tidders said...

Nice figures; Should be a interesting unit

Graham C said...

John,
glad to see the blog is resurrected looking forward to future posts.

John D said...

Nice to hear from a few "old friends" Hopefully folks might find this of some interest ....

John

Carlo said...

Excellent John. Looking forward to seeing how this unit evolves.

Captain Nolan said...

Are you one of the sculptors for Crann Tara? I was just looking at their site and they are going to send me a few samples. From what I can tell online, they are beautiful figures with human proportions. Although I do love Front Rank figures for their heft and ease of painting, there is something about the Crann Tara style of figure (Ebor and Minden also come to mind) that is elegant. I am planning on building an imagi-nation world (I have some RSM95s already, which Minden match very well in size and style, and I expect I will have some of these in my armies as well.

This is a great series in how to raise a regiment. I would love to see you continue on to all three arms and follow with cavalry and artillery.

If you are interested in classic Napoleonics (like Hinton Hunt), please stop by my blog and have a look at: https://battlesandcampaigns.blogspot.com/


John D said...

Yes, I've made a number of figures for Crann Tara, all the Savoia, the Spanish, a number of the French (Grade Francais amongst others), plus a few other things as well.

If you Like RSM/Hezzlewood style figures, then Crann Tara should be spot on for you. It's quite an extensive range and continues to grow and evolve regularly.

John